Once all entries are received, they will be assessed by a jury panel of early childhood and STEM professionals. Each entry will be assessed and measured against the following categories:
Of course, there will be great prizes to be won! The Little Scientists Early STEM Award has the following prize categories: 1 National winner and 8 State and Territory winners.
We will celebrate each winning service’s achievement with an award ceremony, attended by a Little Scientists representative who will present the prize package.
So, what can you win? Here’s a sneak peek of some of the fabulous prizes provided by our sponsors.
National Winner prize package
State / Territory Winner prize package
Entries are now closed
We’re excited to start reading through the entries and to learn about the amazing STEM projects happening in early-childhood services around Australia. Thank you for participating and good luck!
Winners will be announced mid-October 2020. Dates for award celebrations to be confirmed.
Thank you to our generous sponsors for supporting the Little Scientists Early STEM Award.
Frequently asked questions
I already submitted my entry form before the award was postponed. Do i need to resubmit it?”]
If you have already submitted your final award entry, you do not have to resubmit it.
Do I need to complete a Little Scientists workshop before entering?
The Little Scientists Early STEM Award is open to all early childhood services. It is not a requirement of entry to have already participated in the Little Scientists program. We do, however, encourage our existing Little Scientists workshop participants to apply.
You can book a Little Scientists workshop via our booking calendar.
Does it have to be a brand-new project?
The project that your service decides to showcase can be one your service has already completed or one you are currently working on.
Quirky Curious Futures – What does the award theme mean?
The theme Quirky Curious Futures has been chosen to encourage participants to let their imaginations fly, play with quirky ideas and let children’s curiosity run wild, encouraging them to create their own visions of the future. The sky (or the depth of the ocean) is the limit.
If you need help to spark an idea for a Quirky Curious Futures project, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals would be a great place to start. We believe that these goals provide a global blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for our children and our planet.
How will the winners be selected?
Entries will be assessed and judged by a jury panel of early childhood and STEM professionals. Each entry will be measured against the following criteria:
- STEM content
- Child-led focus
- Inquiry-based focus
- Project scope. Including but not limited to project length, participation, additional extensions, external partners and resources
I have entered or been an award winner in 2018. Can I enter the 2020 Little Scientists Early STEM Award again?
Yes, absolutely! All services that won in 2018 are eligible to enter in this year’s award. However, a project cannot be entered twice. We know that you have all run amazing projects in the past two years or are currently engaged in wonderful projects. So please surprise us with a new Quirky Curious Future project!
Which projects won the 2018 Little Scientists Early STEM Award? You can learn all about our 2018 award winners in our Everyday STEM inquiry in practice book.
I am having trouble filling out the from. What can I do?
If you are having issues accessing or submitting your entry form, please contact us by phone on 02 8080 0065 or send us an email to email@example.com We are here to help!
- Entries must be submitted by Monday, 31 August 2020.
- Each service is only eligible to submit one entry form.
- Entries will only be reviewed if the application form is complete.
- The Little Scientists Early STEM Award (the award) is open to all Australian early childhood services and only employees of early childhood services can apply (entries from members of the community are not accepted/eligible).
- Little Scientists reserves the right not to award a prize if the quality of entries is insufficiently meritorious by Little Scientists’ standards.
- Entries will be reviewed only if they are submitted by email and in the format detailed in the application form.
- Prize winners of the award will be notified via email or phone and may be announced on the Little Scientists website and/or social media platforms.
- Information provided by the entrant in relation to the Little Scientists Award may be used by Little Scientists for promotional/publicity purposes. This may include and is not restricted to, the information being used on websites, social media, printed material, advertisements and press releases.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash, credit or product.
- All entries become the property of Little Scientists Australia. As such, Little Scientists is the owner of all copyright and other intellectual property in the winning entries.
- To withdraw an application, written notification is required via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time with immediate effect.
- If Little Scientists is not capable of running the award as planned, it is at Little Scientists’ discretion to cancel or postpone the event.
Failure to meet all conditions of entry will automatically disqualify an entry.
Expression of interest
Complete the questions below to receive an Early STEM Award entry form.
After speaking with some of you, and in hope of alleviating some pressure, we have decided to temporarily postpone the Little Scientists Award for now.
When the time is right, we will continue on, so watch this space for new dates to be announced. At the moment we cannot tell you when we will reopen the award – but we cannot wait to share it with you!
For the time being, we want you to focus on what is most important – the wellbeing of the children and yourselves! The Little Scientists Early STEM Award 2018 celebrates Early Childhood Educators’ commitment and dedication to Early STEM education and inquiry-based learning. The award is open to all Early Childhood Services throughout Australia.
This year, we had an overwhelming response with over 250 individuals downloading the entry form and many entries submitted. The winning entries can be found below.
Australian Early STEM education is thriving and we are proud to be at the forefront – delivering quality professional development for early childhood professionals.